Welcome at the DGM !
Please download, fill in and keep the following small booklet during your stay at the DGM !
DMGGuidelines.pdf (166 Kb)
In this page, open the corresponding pdfs you need, fill them out, get them signed by your supervisor and send them to the Centre Informatique.
You will receive by post your username and password to will allow you to use all the services and resources at UNIL.
CHUV card (canteen card)
Get your inscription form from Suzanne. Bring the form with your picture to the 3rd floor (entrance is at the 2nd floor) of Les Allières building (MP20 building, see the DGMGuidelines.pdf).
Campus card (student card)
Fill in the Student Campus Card form and sent it back to the service des immatriculations at UNIL.
Please also look at the "PhD student and Doctoral Programme" section to know how to enrol at UNIL.
Registration to the DGM mailing list
Email Carlo Rivolta and ask him to add you to the DGM mailing list.
Some softwares are under individual licence for which you will need to fill in a form in Suzanne's office.
To see what sort of softwares are available at UNIL:
- For PCs: Map the following network drive : \\distripc.unil.ch\soft and connect to it typing ad\username and entering your password (the one from your email account).
- For Macs: Connect to the following server (cmd + k on the Finder window) afp://bigmac.unil.ch using your email username and password.
Services au personnel - Centre Informatique
The information technology service of the FBM (SI) helps to all informatics and computer related problems at the FBM. It's a plate-forme between the departments on the Bugnon-Epalinges site.
Services au personnel: http://www.unil.ch/ci/page34.html
PhD Students and Doctoral Programme
PhD students have to be registered at UNIL from the beginning until the end of their doctoral studies, meaning until the registration of their thesis at the Bibliothèque Cantonale et Universitaire. All the instructions for the online registration are available here.
Please not that there are two deadlines for enrollment at the University:Autumn semester (before 31 July) and Spring semester (before 31 January)
As a PhD student starting at the DGM, you will then have to complete the PhD Doctoral Programme in Life Science which is about collecting 12 ECTS credits during your PhD by attending courses, conferences, tutorials... Details can be found here.
Special information for foreigners arriving in Switzerland
Swiss residence permit
You will have to request it from the office of your town of residence. It usually turns out that the request is made by the DGM via Suzanne.
Medical care insurances
It's mandatory to have a health insurance once you arrive in Switzerland. Have a look at the official federal list of insurances and compare the offers with comparis.ch. Some additional information about the different health systems can be found in this article from la fédération romande des consommateurs.
Have a look at this page to get more information about insurances which offer special rates for foreign students and researchers. They offer a basic health insurance plan which can be taken out for a maximum of 6 years after your first arrival in Switzerland.
- DGM progress reports: DGM progress reports occur every Wednesday at 12:00, Spengler auditorium.
- Supplies:All kinds of pens, notebooks,Post-it, stamps, envelopes....can be found in Suzanne's office or at the 3rd floor (room 333).
- Clothes locker: You can get your own locker for clothes. If you are interested, ask Suzane.
- Water duty:Mineral water is provided by the CHUV. Once or twice a year it will be your duty to deliver it, check the calendar in office 028.
- Coffees: You can get Nespresso capsules from Suzanne for CHF 5/box.
- DGM Google calendar: We share a google calendar where all kind of infos are written (vacations, conferences, lab meeting...). To get the access, ask Suzanne.
- Opportunity to buy a laptop: The UNIL offers 50% of the price of a new laptop (up to 1000 CHF). Ask your group leader if interested and then visit the Service Informatique portal to make your order.