Effective public speaking
19 September, 2 / 3 October 2008, Bern
Dr. Pamela Alean-Kirkpatrick, alean-academics, Eglisau
Being able to present science professionally to both scientific and non-scientific audiences is one of the essential skills that PhD students have to acquire. During this course, participants learn the essential features of oral presentations. They apply the knowledge by preparing (during a transfer period) and presenting a short oral presentation (10 minutes), which is videotaped and analysed. Participants also learn how to critically review a presentation and give each other constructive feedback.
The participants will:
- get to know the elements belonging professional presentations,
- learn to use visual aids effectively, especially the beamer,
- discover their strengths when giving presentations and receive ideas for optimising their performance.
- Preparation and structure of a scientific presentation;
- delivery of "powerful presentation";
- use of visual aids, especially beamer presentations;
- performance: body language and contact to the audience;
- constructive feedback for colleagues.
Structure of the course:
Two-hour input talk on oral presentations. All participants.
Transfer period for preparing a short talk and implementing the essential elements of professional presentations.
Half-day workshop (4h) in groups of max. 8 participants (presentation, videotaping, feedback).
Each participant attends one of the 2 workshops.
Number of participants: maximum 16
Spetember 19th: input talk from 10h to 12h, Zoological Institute, Balzerstr. 6, first floor, room D110;
October 2nd: workshop-1, from 14h00 to 18h00, Studer Auditorium, Baltzerstr. 3;
October 3rd: workshop-2, from 9h00 to 13h00, Zoological Institute, Balzerstr. 6, first floor, room D110;
Priority is given to PhD students of the ecology and evolution doctoral program. Depending on places availability, other PhD students, master students, Postdocs and academics can attend for free but traveling expenses cannot be reimbursed.
The course is full!
Coordinator of the Inter-University
Doctoral Program in Ecology and Evolution
University of Lausanne
Tel: +41 (0)21 692 4244
Fax: +41 (0)21 692 4165