School of French as a Foreign Language
The School of French as a Foreign Language (EFLE) is attached to the Faculty of Arts of the UNIL. It offers either complete courses or supplementary courses in French language and the culture of France and the French-speaking world. In order to benefit from the supplementary courses or to take diploma courses at EFLE, you have to be enrolled at the UNIL. The complete courses allow you:
- to receive training in French as a foreign language only, by preparing you for the Diploma of French as a Foreign Language
- to include a basic discipline in French as a Foreign Language in a Bachelor of Arts degree to allow you to develop extensive and systematic skills in French as well as to conduct an in-depth reflection on this language and its teaching
School web site:
Cours de vacances
These courses are espacially recommended to non-French speaking students who wish to study at the UNIL, but they are open to all non-French speakers. There are no prerequisites but you have to be 17 years old to enrol.
Summer French courses
Organised during the Summer intersemestrial break, these intensive French language, literature and civilisation courses are intended for non-French speaking students of all levels:
- 2 six-week sessions for complete beginners and beginners (A1-A2).
- 3 three-week sessions for beginner (A1-A2), intermediate (B1-B2) and advanced (C1-C2) students.
- Special six week tutorial programme to obtain 6 ECTS credits (to be added to six weeks of intensive courses).
Winter French courses
Organised during the Winter intersemestrial break, these intensive French language, literature and civilisation courses are intended for non-French speaking students of different levels:
- 1 three-week session for beginner (A1-A2), intermediate (B1-B2) and advanced (C1-C2) students.
There are no courses for complete beginners, nor any tutorial programmes to obtain credits during the Winter break.
French as a foreign language at distance
The School of French as a foreign language (EFLE) organizes a continuing education at distance in French as a foreign language.
Learn and improve your French wherever you are, whenever you want and at the frequency you desire. EFLE proposes an education at distance through modules you can choose depending on your interest. One module consists of 2 units of 25 hours each. Every unit achieved leads to a certificate, every module achieved leads to a certificate in form of credits (5 ECTS).
Certain knowledge of French is required (level A2). Coaching (explanations, evaluation, corrections, personal assistance) is provided by professors of EFLE.
Website (in French):
Outside the UNIL
If you want to improve your French by following courses outside the UNIL, you can go to a private school or specialised associations. A list of institutes is available in the useful links on this page.