The Institute of Political and International Studies is one of the largest department in Switzerland with around 80 researchers, of wich 10 professors. The department covers the main fields of political science with a strong interdisciplinary focus. It offers a vivid research environement around five research units :
· Le Centre d'histoire des idées politiques et des institutions (CHIPI).
· Le Centre de Recherche sur l'Action Politique de l'Université de Lausanne (CRAPUL).
· Le Centre de recherche interdisciplinaire sur l'international (CRII)
· Le Laboratoire d'analyse de la gouvernance et de l'action publique en Europe (LAGAPE)
· L'Observatoire de la vie politique régionale (OVPR)
The IEPI is also conducting numerous research projects involving close collaboration at national and international levels. Most of these studies are financed by the Fonds Suisse de la recherche scientifique (National Swiss fund for scientific research) and include research projects regularly mandated by the government on those topics which are considered to be in the public interest.
In addition, the IEPI regularly organises international meetings and symposia, and enjoys close co-operation with European universities and other scientific institutions.
The IEPI regularly organises workshops and symposia. IEPI professors are actively involved in the European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR), and in other scientific organisations such as the Swiss Association of political science or the International Political Science Association (IPSA).