A number of programme-specific scholarships to cover part of the tuition fee are available:
1. Up to four Jean-Barbeyrac Scholarships (50% tuition exemption) and
2. up to eight Vilfredo Pareto Scholarships (25% exemption of tuition fees)
may be available.
Students who wish to apply for one of these scholarships are requested to do so at the same time as they apply for admission to the programme. Only students admitted to the programme are eligible.
The same deadline as submission for the application to the programme applies. Students are requested to send a personal letter stating why they apply for a scholarship and include two letters of recommendation from professors or former employers. Students should also clearly specify whether they will also accept admission to the programme if they are not awarded a scholarship or only a scholarship covering a part of the tuition fee.
The decision regarding the award of the scholarships will be taken by 15 July.
Jean-Barbeyrac Scholarships cover 50% of tuition fees. The student pays only 50% of the tuition fees but must pay the full amount of the semester fees (160 Swiss Francs per semester. Currently up to four "Jean Barbeyrac Scholarships" are available. They will be awarded to students who in their prior academic activity have shown their extraordinary research and study capabilities and obtained outstanding results.
Jean Barbeyrac (1674-1744) was appointed in 1711 the first professor of law at the University of Lausanne. He was an advocat of the "dignitas et utilitas juris ac historiarum et utriusque amica conjunctio" and influenced the development of international law an a very important way.
Vilfredo-Pareto Scholarships cover 25% of the tuition fees. In addition to the remaining 75% of the tuition fees the sutdents pay the normal semester fees (160 Swiss Francs per semester). Currently up to eight "Vilfredo Pareto Scholarships" are available. The will be awarded to students from developing countries who in their prior academic activity have shown their extraordinary research and study capabilities and obtained outstanding results.
Vilfredo Federico Damaso Pareto (1848 - 1923) was an Italian sociologist, economist and philosopher. In 1893 he was appointed a lecturer at the Law Faculty of the University of Lausanne where he remained for the rest of his life. In 1906 he developed the so-called Pareto principle (also termed the 80-20 rule) and generalised further to the concept of a Pareto distribution.