Techniques and Approaches in Morphology
Organizers: Jean-Pierre Hornung & Jean-Yves Chatton, Unil-DNF
The course in June 2014 is fully booked at the moment!
The aim of this course is to learn about the preparation of brain tissue and cell cultures for different morphological staining techniques and visualisation by fluorescence/transmission microscopy.
A theoretical introduction will take place on Monday morning:
- Microscopy and imaging - Jean-Yves Chatton
- Histological technique with emphasis on immunofluorescence - Jean-Pierre Hornung
The rest of the week will be devoted to practical demonstrations in the laboratory about microscopy on brain slices and cultures, addressing basic protocols and techniques both in histology and immunocytochemistry:
- Fixation techniques
- Brain slicing: cryotome, cryostat, vibratome
- Nissl, DAB immunostaining and immunofluorescence
- Acquisition of images with transmission light and fluorescence: stereomicroscopy, large field and confocal
- Image processing: Neurolucida, Imaris, etc.
Participants will practice one or more techniques at each step. If you wish to bring your own slices or cultures, or a particular antibody to test, please discuss this with the organizers before the course starts.
02-06 June, 2014, all week from 9h-17h.
Department of Fundamental Neuroscience (DNF). Room and lab to be confirmed.
Rue du Bugnon 9, CHUV-Bugnon campus, Lausanne.
An evaluation of the acquired knowledge that will take place on Friday afternoon. An active participation during the course is also requested.
Please register by sending an e-mail (with course name as subject and your supervisor in copy) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The number of participants is limited to 12.