You are here: UNIL > Socio-Cultural Affairs > Health insurance > foreign student from one of the EU countries (permit B or L)
Français | English

foreign student from one of the EU countries (permit B or L)

Possible exemption from the requirement to take out a Swiss health insurance policy for students from the member countries of the European Union (EU)

If you already have a health insurance policy offering the same benefits as a Swiss one then you may be exempted from the obligation to take out a Swiss insurance.

Procedure to follow:

Ask for one of the form (lested bellow) to your health insurance,  which must be a public insurance:

- European health insurance card

Once your arrive in Switzerland, you must show your European health insurance card to:

Office vaudois de l'assurance-maladie (OVAM)
Chemin de Mornex 40
CH - 1014 Lausanne
tél. 41 (0)21 557 47 47
fax 41 (0)21 557 47 50

This office will then deliver an exemption from the obligation to insure with a Swiss company

During you stay in Switzerland, if you have any benefits to be payed back, you have to send the orgininal medic invoice (you have to pay it first), together with a copy of the European health insurance card and your bank or postal account to:

Institution Commune LAMal - KVG
Gibelinstrasse 25
CH - 4503 Solothurn
tél. 41 32 625482
fax 41 32 6254829


Foreign students who do not manage to obtain official recognition of their national insurance should consider taking out an insurance with a private Swiss company specialised in international health and accident insurance. The following is a list of recognised companies providing this coverage:

Informations: Foreign student from a country OUTSIDE the CE (permit B or L)


 in this site:

Unicentre  -  CH-1015 Lausanne  -  Switzerland  -  Phone +41 21 692 21 13  -  Fax  +41 21 692 21 15