- Glucose tolerance test (intraperitoneal or oral)
- Glucose-stimulated insulin secretion
- Insulin tolerance tests
- Pyruvate tolerance test
- Euglycemic, hyperinsulinemic clamp (to assess whole-body and tissue-specific insulin action and glucose metabolism in vivo in awake, unrestrained mice).
- Hyperglycemic clamp (to assess in vivo pancreatic b-cell function – i.e., glucose-induced insulin secretion).
- Hypoglycemic, hyperinsulinemic clamp (to assess the function of counterregulatory hormones).