To acquire the practical and theoretical skills with laboratory animals as requested by legislation (Swiss ordinance N° 455.171.2, October 1998) to get the accreditation to perform animal experimentation delivered by the Federal Veterinary Office.
This course (20h theory + 20h practical) will be recognized by the Swiss federal veterinary office to undertake animal experiments.
Who is concerned by this module?
This training module is relevant to all students working with animals during their master project.
Conditions for registration to this module:
• The host laboratory must have permission to work with animals
• Students must be announced to the cantonal veterinary office
What is animal experimentation?
Any interventions in which live animals are used to :
• Test a scientific hypothesis in various fields (behavior, neurology, metabolism, immunology, cardiovascular…)
• Verify the effects of a particular procedure on an animal
• Test a substance (pharmacology, toxicology…)
• Collect or examine cells, organs or body fluids
• Education, training and continuing education
Choosing an appropriate animal model
Before an animal model is chosen, investigators must consider alternatives to the use of live animals (3Rs)
Investigators must consider all factors when selecting the best model for research
© FikMik - Fotolia | jagodka - Fotolia