LN Travel Grants
The LN program offers a limited number of travel grants for PhD students enrolled in the full member/partner institutions University of Geneva and University of Lausanne who want to attend conferences, workshops or advanced doctoral courses in Switzerland or abroad. There are three deadlines each year:
- December 15 (for events taking place before May 15).
- April 15 (for events taking place before October 1).
- September 1 (for events taking place before December 31).
Please send your application by e-mail to the LN coordinator before the deadline as a single PDF file named "Your last name_TravelGrant". The file should include the following:
- A small motivation letter including your name, as well as the dates, location, detailed schedule and program of the event (or a link to the website of the event if the full program is available there).
- Your detailed estimated budget (in one page), including registration, travel expenses and accommodation, and clearly stating the total amount requested.
- For conference participation: Your application can only be considered if you present your work as poster and/or talk. If your abstract is still not accepted by the conference organizers by the time of your application, the abstract and registration details can be sent later, but are required for travel reimbursement!
- For workshop/course attendance applications: Include your detailed motivation (half a page) in the abovementioned letter as the travel grant committee needs to know WHY the event is important for your training.
- You will be reimbursed for maximally 1100 CHF when traveling overseas, and 600 CHF for trips within Europe.
- This money can only be used for:
- Registration fees
- Travel expenses in second class (train) or tourist class (plane)
- Hotel at reasonable rates
- For other expenses (e.g. meals, taxes, or visas), or if you need more than 600 or 1100 CHF, please apply for a second travel grant elsewhere or ask your lab/department to supplement.
- PhD candidates can only apply ONCE for an LN travel grant during their thesis!
- Please note that applications from students in the 2nd year of their PhD training and beyond will be preferentially granted.
- When you have obtained a travel grant, please send all original receipts (incl. plane boarding passes) and a certificate of attendance etc. to the LN coordinator after your journey for reimbursement.
After reviewing all applications, the travel grants will be awarded on:
- December 31
- April 30
- September 15