News, Talks and Publications
We are happy to announce that Kevin Curran was elected President of the Swiss Association of Medieval and Early Modern English Studies (SAMEMES)
We wish to warmly congratulate Dr. Devani Singh for her recent election to the SAMEMES Board.
- Denis Renevey gave a talk on 7 October 2021 at the English Department Research Seminar Series (UNIL). His talk was titled "The Transformative Power of Breath: Music, Alternative Therapy, and Medieval Practices of Contemplation".
- Mary Flannery, Amy Brown and Kristen Curtis (University of Bern) gave a talk at the University of Melbourne's Medieval Round Table (10 May 2021) titled '"More to please than to instruct": Eighteenth-century Responses to Chaucerian Obscenity".
We are glad to announce the following publications by SAMEMES members:
- Lukas Erne, ed., "The Arden Research Handbook of Shakespeare and Textual Studies" (London: Bloomsbury, 2021). More details:
- Lukas Erne and Devani Singh (eds.), "Bel-vedére or the Garden of the Muses" (Cambridge University Press, 2020). More details:
- Lukas Erne and Kareen Seidler (eds.), "Early Modern German Shakespeare: ‘Hamlet’ and ‘Romeo and Juliet’: ‘Der Bestrafte Brudermord’ and ‘Romio und Julieta’ in Translation" (Bloomsbury Arden Shakespeare, 2020). More details:
- Scott Newstock, "How to Think like Shakespeare: Lessons from a Renaissance Education" (Princeton University Press, 2020). More details:
- Kevin Curran, (ed.) "Renaissance Personhood: Materiality, Taxonomy, Process" (Edinburgh UP, 2020). More details: