The Cellular Imaging Facility (CIF) is a core facility of UNIL-CHUV located at 5 sites in the DNF (Bugnon Campus). There are two additional branches at the Dorigny and Epalinges campuses.
The CIF organizes its mission to assists researchers with their imaging needs around three complementary activities:
Services: The facility offers UNIL’s Faculty of Biology and Medicine (FBM) and associated institutions access to a wide selection of state-of-the-art imaging equipment and techniques:
- Wide-field fluorescence microscopy
- Confocal and super-resolution microscopy
- Two-photon microscopy
- Light sheet microscopy
- Time-lapse and ion imaging
- Fluorescence macroscopy
- In vivo whole-animal imaging
- Laser capture microdissection
- Digital image processing and analysis
Training: Theoretical and technical imaging skills are taught in a combination of lecture courses, interactive teaching and practical training.
Research: Development of innovative optical and imaging technologies.
CIF in numbers:
- 27 imaging set-ups
- 11 image processing workstations
- 20’000 hours of imaging yearly
- 300 regular users from more than 100 research groups
The Bugnon Campus-CIF infrastructure encourage interaction between users from UNIL’s research departments and the University Hospital’s (CHUV) clinical departments, promoting collaborative inter-disciplinary research. Hosting departments such as DNF benefit from the resulting synergies.