Go to: content | top | bottom | search
EN    FR  
You are hereUNIL > Admissions > Prospective students > Master > with a Foreign Bachelor > Part-time Master

Part-time Master

Part-time Master (does not concern the Master of Science in Nursing Sciences)
Under certain conditions, a Master programme can be followed part-time. In this case, it corresponds to part-time studies (50%) over the total duration of the studies. It is not possible to change from full-time studies to part-time studies during a programme.
The student must express and justify his intention to follow part-time studies when he applies to the master. The semester fees for part-time studies are the same as those for full-time studies.

Reasons allowing to request part-time studies:

1. Medical reasons, if they are important and durable (handicap or disease); join a medical certificate attesting the situation.

2. Family reasons, if they are important and durable, such as, in particular, a person depending on you (child, sick or handicapped husband, wife or parents, etc); join a document attesting the situation: copy of the family record book, medical certificate, etc.

3. Professional reasons, when the candidate has to work (minimum of 30%, master training course or a position as an assistant student at UNIL not included); as soon as he is in possession of the documents attesting his employment - letter of the employer attesting the rate of engagement as well as the duration of the contract - the student forwards them to the Admissions Service.

4. Personal project, for example a cultural, associative, humanitarian, professional, sportive (high level) project, etc; join a file describing the project.

More information, see la Directive Etudes à temps partiel (50%) pour les Maîtrises universitaires
Grants / scholarships : in some cases scholarships are not granted for part-time studies (part-time Master). It is therefore advised to contact the authorities granting the scholarship.
The University of Lausanne requires from all candidates applying for part-time studies for professional reasons the proof of an employment of at least 30%, meaning a minimum of 12h00 per week.


Important information for foreign students : the federal rules mention that only a foreigner enrolled in an establishment offering full-time education is entitled to a student's permit.
Furthermore, according to the Ordonnance relative à l'admission au séjour et à l'exercice d'une activité lucrative (OASA), you are allowed to work during your studies but no more than 15 hours per week and with the authorisation of the Service de l'emploi cantonal. All information can be obtained from the Service de la population du Canton de Vaud.




the French version of the registration conditions prevails
Unicentre  -  CH-1015 Lausanne  -  Switzerland  -  Tel. +41 21 692 21 00  -  Fax +41 21 692 21 05
Swiss University