I am interested in the evolution of primate social behaviours with a main focus on cultural transmission and cognition. I am the Director of the Inkawu Vervet Project in South Africa, an experimental field site with a study population of over 200 wild vervet monkeys. For more information on my research, please visit the webpage of my group.
- "ERC Starting Grant" from the European research council for my project «KNOWLEDGE MOVES» 2021-present
- SNSF Professor, University of Lausanne, Switzerland 2017-present
- Director, the Inkawu Vervet Project, Mawana Game Reserve, South Africa 2015-present
- Society in Science - Branco Weiss Fellow, University of Zurich, 2014-present
- Scientific Coordinator, the Inkawu Vervet Project, Mawana Game Reserve, South Africa 2011-2015
- Research Fellow, University of St Andrews, UK 2011-2015
- PhD in Biology, University of Neuchâtel, in collaboration with ABEERU (Applied Behavioural Ecology and Ecosystem Research Unit) of University of South Africa and Loskop Dam Nature Reserve, Mpumalanga Parks Board, South Africa 2010
- Master degree of Science in Behaviour, Ecology and Evolution, University of Neuchâtel, Switzerland 2006
- Bachelor of Science in Biology at University of Neuchâtel, Switzerland 2004
Advanced search is available through Serval
Publications can be managed by accessing Serval via MyUnil
Lab cognition going wild: Implementing a new portable touchscreen system in vervet monkeys.
. Peer-reviewed., ,
Focal vs. fecal: Seasonal variation in the diet of wild vervet monkeys from observational and DNA metabarcoding data.
2022/10. , 12 (10) pp. e9358. Peer-reviewed., , , , , , ,
Sex and dominance: How to assess and interpret intersexual dominance relationships in mammalian societies
2022/07/29. , 10. Peer-reviewed., , , , , , , , , et al.,
Captivity and habituation to humans raise curiosity in vervet monkeys.
2022/06. , 25 (3) pp. 671-682. Peer-reviewed., , , , ,
Drivers and outcomes of between-group conflict in vervet monkeys.
2022/05/23. , 377 (1851) p. 20210145. Peer-reviewed., , , ,
Processing of novel food reveals payoff and rank-biased social learning in a wild primate.
2021/05/18. , 11 (1) p. 9550. Peer-reviewed., , , ,
The consistency of individual centrality across time and networks in wild vervet monkeys.
2021/02. , 83 (2) pp. e23232. Peer-reviewed., , , ,
Organized to learn: the influence of social structure on social learning opportunities in a group
2021/02. , 24 (2) p. 102117., , ,
Reactions to infant death by wild vervet monkeys (Chlorocebus pygerythrus) in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: prolonged carrying, non-mother carrying, and partial maternal cannibalism.
2020/11. , 61 (6) pp. 751-756. Peer-reviewed., ,
The effects of data collection and observation methods on uncertainty of social networks in wild primates.
2020/07. , 82 (7) pp. e23137. Peer-reviewed., , , ,
Dynamics of Intersexual Dominance and Adult Sex- Ratio in Wild Vervet Monkeys
2020/05/14. , 11., , , , ,
Wild primates copy higher-ranked individuals in a social transmission experiment.
2020/01/23. , 11 (1) p. 459. Peer-reviewed., , ,
Corrigendum: Dynamics of Intersexual Dominance and Adult Sex- Ratio in Wild Vervet Monkeys.
2020. , 11 p. 598699. Peer-reviewed., , , , ,
The effect of social and ecological factors on the time budget of wild vervet monkeys
2019/12. , 125 (12) pp. 902-913., , , ,
Primates are living links to our past: The contribution of comparative studies with wild vervet monkeys to the field of social cognition.
2019/09. , 118 pp. 65-81. Peer-reviewed., , , ,
Social attention biases in juvenile wild vervet monkeys: implications for socialisation and social learning processes.
2019/05. , 60 (3) pp. 261-275. Peer-reviewed., , , ,
Correlates of social role and conflict severity in wild vervet monkey agonistic screams.
2019. , 14 (5) pp. e0214640. Peer-reviewed., , , , ,
Payoff- and Sex-Biased Social Learning Interact in a Wild Primate Population.
2018/09/10. , 28 (17) pp. 2800-2805.e4. Peer-reviewed., , , , , , ,
Field experiments with wild primates reveal no consistent dominance-based bias in social learning
2018. , 136 pp. 1-12. Peer-reviewed., , , ,
Celebrating the continued importance of "Machiavellian Intelligence" 30 years on.
2018. , 132 (4) pp. 427-431. Peer-reviewed., , ,
Integrating dispersal and social learning in wild vervet monkeys (Chlorocebus pygerythrus)
2022., Université de Lausanne, Faculté de biologie et médecine, van de Waal Erica (dir.).,